Saturday 21 April 2012

Evaluation - Question 1

In what way does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media?

Here I have annotated a music cover page, clearly showing the codes and conventions of this cover page, this way it is clear for me to understand the codes and conventions of a music cover page, being able to add these features correctly to my cover page. Below I have an annotated a professional music cover page and my final cover page design. I feel that this is an effective way for me to make sure I have all and the correct codes and conventions within my work.

This is a professional original magazine by "KERRANG" the magazine has a genre of Indie/Rock which is the genre I have researched about. 

Cover Page

The use of a small bar at the top of the page causes attraction this is normally for an exclusive piece of information. This is a common convention in this type of genre.

There has been a use of"Puff" this makes it eye catching, this is a common convention followed throughout the genre I have researched.


The image of the artist staring straight at the audience is a common iconic style with all Indie/Rock magazines. This creates an atmosphere with the audience as the artists stares straight at them.


The title of an Indie/Rock magazine is always in block letters this is a bold, strong and confident type of text that stands out clearly to the audience. The target audience will clearly be able to recognize  the type of genre for this magazine.

The use of smaller images along side the key image is a common convention for this type of genre. This is so the target audience know that there are other interesting stories about this artists and his band members. 

The use of quotes from the band or a specific band member is a common convention with the Indie/Rock genre. The quote lets the target audience know a bit about what the articles will be about. The quote always has to be interesting to grab the audiences attention 



Here is my final version of my cover page, everything that I have explain about the profession magazine has been placed into my magazine.











Double Page Spread

This is also an original and professional double page spread produce by "KERRANG"

The background colour on this is a dark plain black colour. Therefore any other colour used for text will contrast well with the background. Black is a usual colour for a genre like this.  

A common convention with Indie/Rock genre is using one key image to take one page and selection of smaller photographs on either the same or opposite page at the bottom of the page.

Using a drop cap is a common convention with nearly at type of genre in a magazine; however it is always used in an Indie/Rock magazine. The drop cap letter is always a different colour to the rest of the text in the article. This is to make is stand out clearly to the audience.

Quotes form band members are quite frequently used as a masthead in a double page spread. The masthead usually has two different coloured texts this firstly makes the entire masthead stand out but it also makes certain words stand out to the audience. The more important words are made to stand out by being in another colour.

This is my final version of my Double Page Spread, everything that I have explain about the profession Double page Spread has been placed on my work 
Contents 


This is an original profession contents page by "Q"
A common convention with Indie/Rock genre is having one key image and several images either backing up that image on a different story within the magazine.

With the images on the cover page they are usually posed, but on the contents page there is always a couple of images that are realistic therefore the audience can see the passion the artists have for music through their body language and facial expressions. 

At the bottom of the page there normally is a different story to the main story this is to keep the audience interested. 

Sub-headings are always a different text the information underneath them. The sub-heading has to stand out. Block type font is usually used on contents with an Indie/rock genre.

This is my final version for my contents page. Every feature that I explain about the professional contents has been added to my work therefore my contents should be an effective contents page.

No comments:

Post a Comment